How to tie an oriental knot
The Oriental Knot, also known as the Simple Knot, is your go-to style when you need to rush out the door. It’s the most simple knot in our repertoire and contains the fewest amount of steps. It will escort you from your mundane afternoons in the office to your laid-back drinks in the evening. In other words: it’s a god-send. The Oriental Knot is the most popular tie knot in Asia, particularly China, but it's still relatively unknown in the West. Because the Oriental Knot has unfailing versatility, we owe it to ourselves to learn how to execute it properly. Don’t fear, it's easy! The Oriental Knot will give you a small, asymmetric knot at the top of your tie to make you look wonderfully elegant.
Oriental Knot tying steps
- Place the tie around your neck with the underside facing the outwards. Place the wide end on the right and the skinny end on the left. Position the wide end lower than the skinny end.
- Cross the wide end underneath the skinny end towards the left.
- Cross it over the knot towards the right.
- Fold it up through the neck loop from underneath.
- Pass it down through the loop you’ve created in the knot.
- Pull down on the wide end to fasten the knot and then slide it up to your neck.